FREE iPad app from Shutterstock
By Andrew Hudson Published: November 8, 2011 Updated: January 31, 2017
Shutterstock, the world’s largest subscription-based image library, has introduced a free iPad app to browse its image collection. Now you can discover images from the comfort of your sofa.
“Browsing for images should be the most enjoyable thing creative professionals do all day. Every design decision we made with Shutterstock for iPad uses a simple rule: make the content the interface so users can quickly experience more images in a very tactile way. The app’s controls fade into the background, leaving just the user, the imagery and their own creative inspiration.”
— Wyatt Jenkins, vice president, product, Shutterstock
With the app, you can:
- Browse smoothly through the Shutterstock image library with the swipe of a finger.
- Search by keyword to find images of any subject.
- See unique content curated by Shutterstock editors.
- View high-res preview images — the most vivid of any imaging app.
- Create, organize, and share lightboxes of images.
- Download images later from your computer with your paid Shutterstock account (downloading from the app is not supported).
A free Shutterstock browse account is required to use lightboxes — sign up within the app or at www.shutterstock.com.
Here’s how Matt Smith, Shutterstock Mobile Product Lead, described the app:
After six months of researching, planning, developing, and fine-tuning, we hope customers find this application makes browsing for images a more seamless and beautiful experience than ever. With the simple swipe of the finger, you can:
- Scroll through thousands of images, seamlessly tiled together in a unique Mosaic View that doesn’t compromise image quality or aspect ratio by cropping or distorting;
- Save images into your existing lightboxes, or create new ones; and
- Share them via email, Facebook or Twitter.