Five portrait lighting positions
By Andrew Hudson Published: November 15, 2011 Updated: January 19, 2017
Photographer Jay Morgan has an excellent eight-minute video which introduces five basic portrait lighting techniques.
Entitled “Portrait Lighting for Photography and Video” the video shows the following techniques:
- Rembrandt Light, with light on one side of the face and a small triangle of light on the other side
- Split Light, a dramatic effect with light only on one side of the face
- Broad Light, a reversed Rembrandt
- Butterfly Light, a full overhead beauty light
- Loop Light, a variation of the Butterfly with one side of the face in slight shadow
Jay also explains a basic portrait studio lighting setup with a key light, fill light, rim light, and background light.
See Jay’s video on YouTube.
Source: Michael Zhang at PetaPixel.Next page: BigStock reaches 10m images