Do I have to register a copyright?
By Andrew Hudson October 31, 2013
No. Registration is not required, it is optional. But it is required for a court action of infringement.
“..registration is not a condition of copyright protection.”
— U.S. Copyright Office, Circular 1
“No publication or registration or other action in the Copyright Office is required to secure copyright. There are, however, certain definite advantages to registration.”
— U.S. Copyright Office, Circular 1
- Register Questions
- Can I register my copyright online?
- Can I pay by credit card?
- What file types are accepted?
- Can I upload a number of files?
- How should I package my photos?
- Who can register online?
- Do I need an email address to file online?
- What kinds of claims can be registered online?
- What are the process steps for registering a copyright online?
- What works may be registered with electronic deposits?
- Can I register a collection of works with a single application?
- Which browsers does eCO support?
- Do I need to configure my browser before registering online?
- Can I check the status of a copyright registered online?
- Is there a way to enter duplicate information?
- How do I upload an electronic copy of my photo?
- Is there a maximum file size that can be uploaded in one session?
- How do I upload multiple files?
- What if the files for a single case are too large to be uploaded in a single session?
- What does best edition mean?
- Are there special instructions for packaging copies of my work(s) for mail or courier delivery?
- Can foreigners register their works in the United States?
- Can a minor claim copyright?
- Do I have to renew my copyright?
- Who is an author?
- What is publication?
- How do I register online works that require hard copy deposits to satisfy Library of Congress deposit regulations?
- How do I copyright my work if I can’t pay?
- What payment options are available in eCO?
- What is Pay.gov?
- Do I have to create a user account with Pay.gov?
- What is a deposit account?
- How do I link an existing deposit account to my eCO account?
- What browser settings should I use for eCO?
- What is copyright registration?
- Do I have to register a copyright?
- Why should I register my copyright?
- Can I register a group of photos?
- Can I wait for an infringement before registering?
- When is copyright registration required?
- Do my photos have to be good to register them?
- After paying via Pay.gov all I received was a blank page, what do I do?
- Do I have to publish my photos before registering?
- Why is my copyright registration information now appearing on search engines such as Google?
- What do I get when I register my copyright?
- Can I remove information that I don’t want publicized?
- Will my registration records help provide contact information for someone interested in using my work?
- Do I have to wait for the copyright registration certificate before publishing?
- Can I see my copyright registration records?
- Can I get international copyright?
- What if my photo was published in a magazine or other copyrighted work?
- What is the registration date?
- Does online equal publication?
- What is the benefit of a certificate of copyright registration?
- What is a deposit?
- How do I register my copyright?
- Can I register many photos at once?
- Why should I register my work if copyright protection is automatic?
- Is copyright registration required?
- How can I prevent personal information from being placed on the Copyright Office’s website?
In ps_get_permalink but no post_id supplied, from ps_breadcrumbs