Canon debuts On-Camera Tutorials
By Andrew Hudson Published: August 3, 2012 Updated: January 19, 2017
Now you can learn how to use your camera on your camera, by watching videos directly on the camera’s LCD screen.
Canon has introducted “On-Camera Tutorial Video Files” “for any EOS camera that records video.” So you can watch an explanation on your camera in both senses of the phrase, and then try out the tips immediately.
Unfortunately, the delivery is time-consuming and inconvenient — Canon’s instructions run to ten steps on six pages! It’s easier just to watch the tutorials on the bigger screen of your computer. But, it is a move forward, and one day your camera will connect directly to the Internet and such tutorials will be easier to access.
How to Watch the Canon On-Camera Tutorials
- Visit the Canon Products page and click on your model
- On the camera page, under the title, click on On-Camera Tutorials
- Pick a tutorial and download the ZIP file to your computer (which may take some time as the files are about 250MB in size)
- Uncompress the files to .mov
- Connect a media card reader (CF or SD) to your computer
- Open (or install and open) the Canon ImageBrowser EX application
- Use ImageBrowser and the card reader to put the .mov files onto a newly-formatted media card
- Put the media card into your Canon EOS camera and watch the videos